Energy Technical Assistance Program
The City of Minneapolis, with the help of the Northeast Minneapolis Chamber, is providing services aimed at supporting the implementation of energy cost-savings practices in small businesses through the Energy Technical Assistance Program (E-TAP). The Northeast Minneapolis Chamber works with business owners to navigate utility programs to help businesses not only be more energy efficient, but also save money.
Technical assistance is for, but not limited to:
- Small businesses located in Minneapolis
- Commercial buildings with high utility bills
- Low-income and minority owned business owners (landlord or tenants)
- Businesses located in the City of Minneapolis Green Zones
Businesses can receive assistance in a variety of ways, including:
- A FREE energy assessment and action plan to implement energy cost-saving recommendations
- Hiring contractors, applying for rebates and grants, lining up financing, and other assistance needed to implement the action plan.
There are also a wide variety of programs available to businesses.
These programs include:
- Xcel Energy Commercial Refrigeration Efficiency Rebates and Services
- Xcel Energy Lighting Efficiency Rebates and Services
- CenterPoint Energy Natural Gas Energy Analysis
- CenterPoint Energy Boiler & Boiler System Component Rebates
- CenterPoint Energy Boiler Tune-up Rebates
- CenterPoint Energy Forced-Air Furnace Rebates
- CenterPoint Energy Water Heater Rebates
- CenterPoint Energy Foodservice Equipment Rebates
- The Minnesota Center for Energy and Environment offers commercial programs as well as an One Stop Efficiency Shop.
- Fill out the form to receive more information about the program from chamber staff.
The E-TAP program and other City of Minneapolis energy programs are made possible by the utility franchise fee increase adopted in 2017. The energy programs align with the Climate Action Plan—a road map to reducing the city’s climate impact—that was adopted in 2013.
The City of Minneapolis also provides funding opportunities through the Green Cost Share program. Cost share award areas are:
- Green Business Refrigeration – Ask your Xcel Energy Representative about additional matching City of Minneapolis Green Business Cost Share funds for your refrigeration project. Minneapolis is providing 20% of project cost rebates and 30% if your business is located in a green zone.
- 4d Energy Efficiency Application - This is an exclusive offer for 4d program participants who have made a 10-year declaration for 4d tax status. Get 90% match on your energy efficiency project up to $50,000. Application available in November 2018 and due in Spring of 2019.
- Energy Efficiency Application - The Green Cost Sharing Program offers up to $50,000 of funds for business and multifamily (four units or more) residential buildings that increase energy efficiency. Application deadlines are December 1 (2018); February 1, April 1, and June 1, 2019.
- Solar Project Application - For qualifying buildings, the City will provide a production-based incentive of the 1st year's estimated annual kWh production. Up to $75,000 for Commercial-Multifamily Buildings, up to $100,000 for solar Group Buy. Application deadlines are December 1 (2018); February 1, April 1, and June 1, 2019.
- Innovative Pollution Reduction Application - The Green Cost Share Program offers funds for green business practices that focus on air quality improvement by reducing VOC emissions, particulate matter emissions, or other harmful Hazardous Air Pollutants. Any business which pays an annual Pollution Control Annual Bill (PCAB) in Minneapolis is eligible to apply for up to $100,000. Application deadlines are December 1 (2018); February 1, April 1, and June 1, 2019.
- Vehicle Repair, Service and Maintenance - The Green Cost Share Program offers grants of up to $25,000 to help fund auto-body shops to switch to water-based paints that reduce air pollution exposure for workers and the surrounding community. Application deadlines are December 1 (2018); February 1, April 1, and June 1, 2019.